Monday, July 4, 2011

FHE Lesson

This week I've been asked to teach the YSA FHE lesson.

I really like teaching the lesson, so overall I was happy about this task, but a tiny part of me was a little hesitant for a silly reason: the last time I taight the FHE lesson, it went REALLY well - and I don't think it's that I taught super well, I think I was just inspired to focus on points that were really what we all needed to hear that night, and spoke to each of us spiritually. So after that, I was a little afraid that my next lesson would be a let down.

Well I have prepared for tonight (my talk to focus on is "As Many As I Love, I Rebuke, and Chasten" by Brother Christopherson from this past conference) and I feel pretty good about it. I am putting my faith in Heavenly Father and hoping that things go as well as last time!

I tend to use a lot of personal experience when I teach, which I think can be a good thing, but sometimes maybe too much. I hope I've got a good balance of using the talk, quotes, stories, AND personal experience.

Here is something interesting that I recieved the other day:

Nine (because I missed the tenth one) Guidelines for Successful Teaching:
1. Teach simple lessons
2. Focus on student needs
3. Be prepared
4. Teach by example
5. Use a "Less is more" philosophy (don't cram in information)
6. Encourage participation
7. Use personal examples
8. Pray for guidance
9. Use more than one teaching method to make points

2 comments: